#BuckFiftyADay Since March, 2014

#BuckFiftyADay Since March, 2014

Monday, February 2, 2009

I Wish I Were Blind...Not Really, I Just Wish I Could Write...

Write, like this..., that is...

My old friend Liz Clarke, from the UNC Journalism School...I haven't seen or spoken to her in over 20 years...spins this gem for the Washington Post Magazine.

She is, in my opinion, as real as it gets when you're talking about a Springsteen fan. I disagree with her regarding "Crush on You," a song I consider a decent frat-house rocker, but I happen to agree with almost everything she has to say in this piece, particularly the part about Bruce needing a thesaurus. I told a friend this week, after listening to Queen of the Supermarket that I believe Bruce must have writer's block, and that his pals must all be afraid of him, because a real friend wouldn't have allowed this song out in public.

As for the halftime show, it was fine. It was for all those bubble-gum fans from 1984-on, who scream "Dancing in the Dark!" and "Rosalita" all night long, even when they're at an all-acoustic show on the Boardwalk in Asbury Park and have been told up-front by Bruce himself that it's going to be a night for slower, quiet music...

Call me a snob, but I have little tolerance for those who want to go see an Oldies Act. There's a band called Backstreets, a Beatlemania type act, here at the Shore...go see them.

No comments: