#BuckFiftyADay Since March, 2014

#BuckFiftyADay Since March, 2014

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

#BuckFiftyADay: Out, But Hardly Proud

I wonder how many others there are, out there like me? How many others ashamed to admit they've kept a secret? Afraid to admit that, for a long time, they were homophobic? I don't even know if "homophobic" is the right word, honestly. "Dumbass" is more like it. Good news is I believe I'm a changed man. At least, less ignorant. Because, as more gay people have stepped out and told me who they are, I've learned that I've had gay friends even when I didn't know it. That I've gotten incredible advice from gay co-workers. That, while I've had bad experiences with gay people, I've had far more bad experiences with straight people, which means their sexuality had nothing to do with it. So, I’m ashamed of my past – and embarrassed –  but want to thank those who've come out and slapped a little sense into this dumbass.

No comments: