#BuckFiftyADay Since March, 2014

#BuckFiftyADay Since March, 2014

Saturday, December 13, 2008

A Day In The Life

Woke up, got out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
And looking up, i noticed i was late
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat...

Liverpool 'round Christmas time...nothin' like it, mates.

'Twas an interesting day all around. Slept in only because my body-clock's still adjusting. Made my way out to Anfield (Think Fenway Park only rectangular). Ate "bacon roll" and drank coffee..err. Nescafe for breakast. Had me first pint before 12..arrrghhh! A man's gotta be a man.

Trying to stay on the vague side of town, but I met some of me mates in the pub (Arkle's) for some good craic 'round half-one. Arsenal and 'Boro were playing the early match and I caught a good bit of the action. Shared pints with Ian...I owe him plenty when we get to Hull.

Met some good blokes who filled me in on what, exactly, it means to be born into a side that's playing way beyond your wildest dreams. I mean, one day you're agonizing over a loss to York City, the next your winning at Arsenal. How can you explain it? You can't. So today, they meet Anfield after two and a half hours in the car. It's silly. Even they know it.

Arsenal and 'Boro draw, but only because former Gunner Jeremie Aliadiere connects for Boro on a ridiculour header. "That's the game, innit?" one of me mates ask. "Indeed," I say.

At half-three it's time to head for my post at Anfield. Like I said, it's Fenway, only Fenway has a few more modern amenities (more on that later), and all 44,000 seats are sold including 3,000 that have been allotted to visiting Hull City. I've been here before, but I still get goose bumps when the Liverpool fans sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" just before kickoff. Amazing.

The next little bit is for my ol' friend Anthony, a Jersey boy who's settled on the West Coast. What I witnessed was classic. A team that came in hoping for a point and, next thing you know, they score off a set piece and get an own goal and are up 2-0 before we've played 20 minutes.

Ah, but when the home side has a boy like Steven Gerrard (and I need to check, but I believe I watched Stevie's debut at Anfield some 10 years ago against Blackburn Rovers), you cannot rest on a two-nil lead. Gerrard scores twice before the interval and anyone in their right mind has to think that Liverpool will power their way to a victory. Ah, but 'tis a funny ol' game. While Liverpool leaves their 20-milli0n-pound striker Robbie Keane on the bench, Hull City finds its defensive shape and wills its way to a 2-2 draw against the Premier League leaders. Classic.

It takes me more than an hour to flag a cab back to the hotel. I eat fish and chips (not bad) in the hotel, then venture out to a few pubs. The first one features karaaoke acts that make me feel young. The second is slightly better or a solo American. I watch Barcelona and Real Madrid, first half, in the pub...then walk home briskly to see Barca score two goals and win.

Tomorrow, Liverpool to Hull. Hopefully more good craic to be found.

No comments: